Similarities & Differences
between my firm and the firms of other people, and how they present their
financial statements:
Looking through multiple
annual financial statements for various different companies I have noticed
various similarities and differences, mostly similarities. To my surprise I
noticed that most companies, no matter what area/field they have a very similar
layout, in particular reference to the pages that exemplify financial data. In
my company’s annual report, in the finance section they included notes to the
consolidated financial statements. I noticed this in various reports where
company’s noted and explained statements or terms used throughout the report,
enabling the reader to thoroughly understand what they were talking about. Looking at other students annual reports
chosen at random, I really enjoyed and appreciated the report for the company
Dyesol, by the student Chinthaka Liyanage.
The set out, although very similar to the annual reports of my company
were easier to understand. There were thorough explanations in the report that
explained why the company was implementing certain policies and procedures and
how this would benefit them - this is something my report lacked a little. I
also looked at construction companies to see how different they were to GCS,
one in particular a company called Saunders, by the student Evelyn De Lange. I
loved this company’s financial statement. Although similar to mine it was a lot
shorter and conveyed a very similar story, which I thought was great – because
let’s face it which report would you choose to read if both had same thorough
content, the only difference being that one company took 112 pages to convey a
message and the other company took 46 pages. Through looking at different annual reports,
my understanding is that companies must have some sort of template, one
template that everyone follows when presenting financial data. I believe this
because most company’s financial statements are displayed similarly. The only
differences in the whole report being that each company has a different agenda
with different challenges, achievements, strategies and involvements, therefore
has something different, individual that they wish to address.
Am I happy with the firm I have been
given, or would I have preferred to be given a different company? What concerns
do I have at this stage, if any?
I am quite happy with my
delegated company. I was a little disappointed at the start thinking that a
construction company such as GCS would bore me. Although just a construction
company, GCS has many great attitudes and values that create such a positive
culture. I really loved how prepared they are to work hard in overcoming
challenges and even towards making their staff and company a really happy place
to be a part of. I truly believe that this is why they are so successful!! If I
was given the choice to pick a company I would have selected something from the
agricultural industry as it is something that I am passionate about, however I
do like being pushed outside of what I know because it is an opportunity to
further learn and develop.
My concerns at this point
are entering the financial data into the spread sheet!!! :O
Interpreting the data and selecting
the right information worries me as I have never worked with annual reports for
such a big company before. This is something that is a little daunting and I
think it will certainly challenge me!

I love your comparisons between your own firm and others, very in depth.
ReplyDeleteThe information is all clear enough to understand. Thanks for the clear info.
ReplyDelete